Saturday, August 20, 2011


I am patterning my stockings by fabric draping (sounds easy enough, right?), I thought about it while I was camping with my family! 
As soon as I got home and was settled I made a paper pattern of my foot for the sole then I started with some muslin fabric for the pattern.  I draped and pinned strips of fabric to my leg and determined where the side seam and gussets should be. 
I trimmed off excess fabric to make them fit properly. Then I copied the paper sole pattern onto fabric adding enough fabric at the sides for the gussets - I know in period maybe they would have used simply a tiny triangle to fill in the space but for me this worked!
Fabric draping to create stocking pattern.
Final patterns laid on the bias
 I cut the 'legs' of the stockings on the bias for extra stretch but the sole I cut 4 on the grain for stability and comfort (I have sensitive feet and thought it would be nice without inside seams bothering me). 
So far these should be great! The patterns however don't look anything like patterns I have seen online. 
Wish me luck! I will probably be stitching them up tomorrow!

No comments: